In this New Year, I’d like to share some inspirational English quotes which will hopefully boost our spirit to face the new year.
- “Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson.
- “New Year’s Day. A fresh start. A new chapter in life waiting to be written. New questions to be asked, embraced, and loved. Answers to be discovered and then lived in this transformative year of delight and self-discovery.” ~ Sarah Ban Breathnach.
- “Let our New Year’s resolution be this: we will be there for one another as fellow members of humanity, in the finest sense of the word.” ~ Goran Persson.
- “The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.” ~ Melody Beattie.
- “And now we welcome the new year. Full of things that have never been.” ~ Rainer Maria Rilke.
- “Every time you tear a leaf off a calendar, you present a new place for new ideas and progress.” ~ Charles Kettering.
- “Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.” ~ Oprah Winfrey.
- “Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, ‘It will be happier.'” ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson.
- “For last year’s words belong to last year’s language. And next year’s words await another voice.” ~ T.S. Eliot.
- “Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365 page book. Write a good one.” ~ Brad Paisley.
- “Every New Year people get you some presents but your best present you get never changes: Your own existence! It is also your best present to others!” ~ Mehmet Murat ildan.
- “Any new beginning is forged from the shards of the past, not from the abandonment of the past.” ~ Craig D. Lounsbrough.
Compiled and written by @Miss_Qiak at @EnglishTips4U on Thursday, January 1, 2015
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2013 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
The Louvre Museum has 8.5 million visitors per year. This blog was viewed about 250,000 times in 2013. If it were an exhibit at the Louvre Museum, it would take about 11 days for that many people to see it.
Click here to see the complete report.
So, even though it’s the New Year, there is still a session going on for our lovable fellas. :)
For a light reading on English tips, why don’t we start with some idioms with the word ‘year’? Here are some of them.
- All year round. Meaning: selama tahun tersebut.
- “So, I can’t eat chocolate all year round?”
2. Not in a thousand years/not in a million years. Meaning: tidak akan terjadi.
Would you pet a cat?
Not in a thousand years!
- Never in a thousand years/never in a million years. Meaning: tidak akan terjadi
Donkey’s years. Meaning: sudah lama atau waktu yang lama sekali dimana berhubungan dengan telinga keledai (donkey) yang panjang.
- “Wow, I haven’t seen my high school mates in donkey’s years!”
- Take years off (of someone/something). Meaning: membuat seseorang terlihat muda. Idiom ini sering dipakai di iklan berbahasa Inggris.
- “You look stunning dear, your hairdo has taken years off your face.”
- Year in, year out. Meaning: dari tahun ke tahun yang menjelaskan sesuatu terus terjadi setiap tahun.
- “This girl who lives next door seemed to adore you, she kept sending special things year in, year out.”
- Autumn years. Meaning: hari-hari tua seseorang terutama yang telah berhenti bekerja.
- “My grandfather is enjoying his autumn years playing with his grandsons.”
- Light years away. Meaning: masih lama atau masih di masa depan. Frasa ‘Light years away’ berhubungan dengan jarak bintang-bintang di angkasa dari bumi.
- “Seeing a place like Paris is still light years away for me.”
- It’s been years (informal). Meaning: (tanpa memberikan secara spesifik angka berapa tahun tersebut) menyatakan bahwa sudah terjadi sejak lama.
- “It’s been years my grandmother stopped making cakes for that bakery.”
- Year by year. Meaning: setiap tahun.
- “Year by year, the social media users in Indonesia increased.”
That’s it fellas! I hope those idioms can be useful for you. Don’t forget to bookmark our website englishtips4u.com to find our previous sessions. Also, don’t forget to join our 2nd Anniversary #PhotoCompetition :D Happy New Year 2013!! Have a great evening!!
Compiled and written by @daedonghae at @EnglishTips4U on Tueaday, January 1, 2013.
Ada beberapa cara penulisan tanggal dalam Bahasa Inggris dan kesemuanya adalah benar. Perhatikan contoh-contoh berikut…
Penulisan tanggal gaya Inggris (British style): ‘21st June, 2011′ atau ‘21 June, 2011.’ Dengan hari, tambahkan ‘Tuesday,’ di depan.
Penulisan tanggal gaya Amerika Serikat (American style): ‘June 21st, 2011′ atau ‘June 21, 2011.’ Dengan hari, tambahkan ‘Tuesday,’ di depan.
Dalam penulisan tanggal, kita bisa menghapus penulisan bentuk ordinal numbers (tanpa ‘st‘ di akhir ’21’). Jangan gunakan ‘the‘ atau ‘of.’
Written by on June 21, 2011