All questions are taken from: Business English Verbs by David Evans, published by Penguin English.
- Advise. “They advised us to go to another bank.” The Indonesian word for “advise” is …
- Assemble. “The cars are assembled at our factory.” The Indonesian word for “assemble” is …
- Auction. “They auctioned the painting today.” The Indonesian word for “auction” is …
- Bribe. “He bribed the customs officer.” The Indonesian word for “bribe” is …
- Confess. “I must confess – I didn’t think of that.” The Indonesian word for “confess” is …
- Defraud. “He defrauded his business partner.” The Indonesian word for “defraud” is …
- Endorse. “The French team is endorsing our car.” The Indonesian word for “endorse” is …
- Foot the bill. “We all had to foot the bill.” The Indonesian meaning of “foot the bill” is …
- Go on strike. “They went on strike for more pay.” The Indonesian meaning of “go on strike” is …
- Go short. “She went short on sterling.” The Indonesian meaning of “go short” is …
- advise = menyarankan.
- assemble = merakit (pasif: dirakit).
- auction = melelang.
- bribe = menyuap.
- confess = mengakui.
- defraud = menggelapkan uang.
- endorse = membiayai/mensponsori/menyokong.
- shoot the bill = membayar semua biaya/tagihan.
- go on strike = mogok (kerja).
- go short = kekurangan.
TRIVIA: The ending “-ise” and “-ize” in verbs such as “recognise” and “recognize” are both used in UK. However, “-ize” only used in US.
Compiled and written by @EnglishTips4U for @EnglishTips4U on Monday, July 11, 2011
- Choose the right synonym of the word in the brackets.
- Type the number of the question as you answer.
The criminal was asked to aid police in their (enquiry).
The use of penicillin is (diffuse).
B) widely available
He (pored over) the questions until he couldn’t keep his eyes open anymore.
You will find the building at the main (intersection).
He found the smell of the lotus blossom (repugnant), and asked for a different flower.
His boss (streamlined) company procedures.
B) made easier
Uncertainty about the economy is (widespread).
His comments can be rather (harsh) at times.
The issue (touched off) an argument between the two parties.
You’d better get a few (winks) before tomorrow.
Compiled and written by @ for@ on Saturday, July 8, 2011
Rule of the game: please type the number of the question with your answer. There will be 10-15 questions. The topic is: People.
- Is the following sentence right or wrong? “This is Andy. He’s my elderly brother.”
- What do we call a person who works for someone else?
- A) an employer
- B) an employee
- She’s a very witty person. She’s …
- A) clever with words
- B) good with her hands
- C) fit and strong
- Which of the following sentences is correct?
- A) “She’s a very effective secretary.”
- B) “She’s a very efficient secretary.”
- What do we call a person who causes damage and is noisy and violent in public places?
- A) a hermit
- B) a victim
- C) a hooligan
- Which person is the ‘odd one out’?
- A) widow
- B) mother-in-law
- C) uncle
- D) fiancee
- Andrea is very stubborn. What is the synonym for ‘stubborn’?
- A) strict
- B) big-headed
- C) obstinate
- Which person enjoys talking about other people’s private lives?
- A) a neighbor
- B) a gossip
- C) an acquaintance
- Which of these adjectives have positive meanings?
- Which of the following is my brother’s son?
- A) my nephew
- B) my brother-in-law
- C) my niece
- wrong. The right word should be “elder” as in “elder brother”.
- an employee. An employer is a person who gives you a job.
- A) clever with words.
- B) She’s a very efficient secretary.
- C) a hooligan.
- C) uncle. All others are female.
- C) obstinate.
- B) a gossip.
- Positive adjectives: affectionate, cheerful, generous, reliable.
- A) my nephew.
Compiled and written by @ for@ on Thursday, June 30, 2011
Guys, ayo belajar vocabulary untuk persiapan TOEFL. Berikut ini beberapa kalimat dengan kata-kata yang ada di dalam tanda kurung. Pilih jawaban yang merupakan sinonim dari kata-kata di dalam tersebut. Let’s start!
1. A rich kid was (abducted) yesterday.
2. What is the use of such a (barren) discussion.
3. The major (catalyst) in the English-language explosion was war.
4. The actress’ (debut) on the stage was a success.
First public performance
5. The vivacious little girl is like an (elf).
6. So much of life is merely a (farce).
7. The fish in the dish was (garnished) with slices of lemon.
8. She used to (harass) her husband by her continual demands for fine attire.
9. The armistice brought an (immense) relief to the people.
10. Don’t (joggle) me while I am writing.
11. The teacher gave the naughty boy a rap over the (knuckles).
Joints around fingers
12. His (latent) talent was discovered by accident.
13. Do you believe that human nature is (malevolent)?
14. Inwara stuttering is the worst form of (nemesis).
15. The patient was (obsessed) by the fear of operation.
Compiled and written by for on Monday, June 27, 2011
DYK? Di Inggris, lantai 1 sebuah gedung disebut ‘ground floor‘, lantai 2 disebut ‘first floor‘, lantai 3 disebut ‘second floor‘, dst.
Sementara di Amerika Serikat, lantai 1 sebuah gedung disebut ‘first floor‘, lantai 2 disebut ‘second floor‘, lantai 3 disebut ‘third floor’, dst.
Di Inggris maupun di Amerika Serikat, lantai paling atas sebuah gedung disebut ‘top floor‘.
Written by on June 24, 2011
Do you know Apa perbedaan antara ‘a journey’, ‘a trip’, dan ‘a tour’?
‘A journey‘ adalah ketika kamu pergi dari satu tempat ke tempat lain, seperti dari tempat A ke B.
- “My journey to work is always frustrating!”
‘A trip’ adalah ketika kamu pergi ke suatu tempat dengan singkat lalu kembali lagi.
- “How was your business trip to Medan?”
‘A tour‘ adalah ketika kamu mengunjungi banyak tempat di dalam kota atau negara atau wilayah yang sama.
- “The band will have a tour of Asia.”
Compiled and written by for on Friday, June 23, 2011