Hello, dear fellas! How are you?
Last week, we talked about expressions and their possible translations to Indonesian. If you missed it, check it out here: https://englishtips4u.com/2016/10/10/engtrivia-expressions-in-english-and-their-indonesian-counterparts/
Now, we’re going to continue with part 2. Are you ready?
- ‘It’s a fair cop!’, something we say if somebody caught us doing something wrong.
Indonesian: ‘Yah, ketahuan, deh!’
“You said you were on a diet! Why are you eating ice cream?” | “It’s a fair cop!” #EngTrivia
- ‘Way to go!’, expressing approval, pleasure, or excitement.
Indonesian: ‘Selamat! Kamu hebat!’
“Congratulations on your acting debut! Way to go!” #EngTrivia
- ‘I get the picture’, meaning we understand the situation.
Indonesian: ‘Oh, aku ngerti maksudnya.’
“You could not meet me, but you were going out with your friends? Oh, I get the picture!” #EngTrivia
- ‘Not on good/speaking terms’, meaning two parties are not on friendly situation or not speaking.
Indonesian: ‘Lagi musuhan’.
“You wouldn’t want to put Janet and John in the same team. They are currently not on speaking terms.” #EngTrivia
- ‘To come of age’. It means to reach adulthood.
Indonesian: ‘Sudah cukup umur’.
“You’ll get my permission to bring the car when you’ve come of age and had a license.” #EngTrivia
- ‘As it happens/just so happens’ is another way of saying ‘as a matter of fact’.
“As it happens, I’ve booked the flight earlier. Just in case.” #EngTrivia
- ‘Come to think of it’, used when an idea or point occurs to someone while he’s speaking.
Indonesian: ‘Kalau dipikir-pikir…’
“We’ll need to work overtime. Come to think of it, we’ve taken overtime four days in a week now.” #EngTrivia
- ‘Oh, what a giveaway!’, said when we revealed something we should have not.
Indonesian: ‘Aduh, keceplosan.’
“I didn’t eat all the cakes, only four of five!” | “What? But you’re on a diet!” | “Oh, what a giveway!” #EngTrivia
There you go, fellas! Should you have any questions, comments, or ideas, let us know via mention or write them at www.englishtips4u.com. Don’t forget to check the recap of this session later, as it will also be complete with examples. Thank you for being with me, fellas!