Hello hey hi and happy Friday, Fellas! How are you? I hope you’re doing well.
How long have you been studying English, Fellas? What do you do when you’re unsure about the meaning of a word?
Okay, of course you “Google” it. But even Google refers to online dictionaries to find the meaning of a word.
One of the most familiar and reliable English dictionary is Oxford English Dictionary.
The Oxford English Dictionary is updated every March, June, September, and December.
That is why our session today will be #EngVocab Oxford English Dictionary Latest Update, which is in June 2016.
Here are some of the words included in June 2016 update: #EngVocab
- Listicle: an article on the internet presented in the form of a numbered or bullet-pointed list. #EngVocab
- Glamping: Glamorous camping. Camping without abandoning the luxury of technology. #EngVocab
- Centimillionaire: someone whose wealth is estimated at one hundred millions (of pounds or dollars) or more. #EngVocab
- Leetspeak: a form of writing whereby some letters in a word are replaced by a numerical likeness or other letters. #EngVocab
Example of leetspeak: pwned for owned, h4x0r for hacker, s|<1llz for skills.
- Krewe (pronounced in the same way as ‘crew’): an organization that puts on a parade or ball for Carnival season. #EngVocab
- Sweary: prone to swearing; full of swearing. #EngVocab
- Spesh: a derogatory term referring to ‘special people’ that are mentally challenged. #EngVocab
- Fro-yo: An abbreviation of frozen yogurt. #EngVocab
Those are some latest additions to the June 2016 edition of Oxford English Dictionary. #EngVocab
If you want to see the complete list of the updated version, go check this one out: http://public.oed.com/the-oed-today/recent-updates-to-the-oed/june-2016-update/new-words-notes-june-2016/
I guess that’s it from me today, Fellas! Don’t forget to check our website englishtips4u.com for more! Have a great weekend, and see ya!
Compiled by @bintilvice for @EnglishTips4u on Friday, 26 August 2016.