For Muslims, Idul Fitri is the best time to forgive and to beg forgiveness from other people. Therefore, we’ll talk about idioms using ‘Sorry’ because it’s Idioms of The Week.
- in a sorry state | meaning: In a pitiful or abject condition.
- Example: My business is in a sorry state because I have been busy with other things.
- sorry sight | meaning: a sight that one regrets seeing; someone or something that is unpleasant to look at.
- Example: Go get cleaned up and put on better clothes. Don’t be such a sorry sight!
- better safe than sorry | meaning: being careful is probably more desirable than risking a bad result.
- Example: My husband always checks our front door three times before sleeping. Well, better safe than sorry.
- sorry-ass | meaning: 1. sad and depressed.
- Example: I feel bad. Isn’t he the most sorry-ass dude you ever saw?
- sorry-ass | meaning: 2. Poor quality; worthless.
- Example: This is the most sorry ass movie I’ve ever seen.
That’s it for today’s session of #IOTW. I hope you’re not sorry reading the tweets!
Don’t forget to check https://t.co/6LFQdjVgbH for more things about English. See you tomorrow!
Compiled for @EnglishTips4U on Wednesday, 6 June, 2016.