Today’s #EngVocab session is words about British Monarchy.
- abdicate | definition: give up, such as power, as of monarchs and emperors, or duties and obligations.
- Example: The King abdicated when he married a divorcee.
- dowager (n) | definition: a widow holding property received from her deceased husband.
- Example: The estate is owned by a wealthy dowager.
- interregnum (n) | definition: the time between two reigns, governments, etc.
- Example: Throughout the Interregnum, Cromwell’s relationship with Parliament was a troubled one.
- pageantry (n) | definition: the use of special clothing, traditions, and ceremonies as part of a special event or celebration.
- Example: I like the tradition and pageantry that come with graduations.
- footman (n) | definition: a man employed as a servant in a large establishment (as a palace) to run errands and do chores.
- Example: After dinner, the footman offered the guests the best wine from the palace.
That’s all for today’s session of #EngVocab. See you tomorrow.
Compiled for @EnglishTips4U on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016