Greetings, ladies and gentlemen. How are you doing today? Today you got two sessions from our team because that’s just how much we love you all!
So I re-watched The Godfather trilogy last week and was inspired to make a session about it.
Yes, today’s session will be #USSlangs Italian Gangster Slangs! I’ll make you a session you can’t refuse, Fellas!
Back in the late 1800s and early 1900s, groups of criminals which were also immigrants from Sicily gained notoriety in organized crime. #USSlangs
They sought refuge from United States since they were considered as a threat to the Italian then fascist leader, Benito Mussolini. #USSlangs
Only after the downfall of the fascism in 1950s, La Cosa Nostra—Italian-American Mobs—rose to prominence in international illegal trafficking. #USSlangs
Their influence wasn’t limited to drugs, arms trades, and other illegal sectors; even the language was affected. #USSlangs
Of course most of you are already familiar with the idioms such as “sleeping with the fishes” or “hit the mattress”. #USSlangs
Or famous words such as “Don”, “Tommy Gun” etc. Keep in mind that some of the slangs are absorbed to the pop-culture and the crime fighter’s lingo. #USSlang
If you watch a lot of police procedural series like I do, terms such as “rat” for a snitch, “piece” for a gun, etc are somewhat familiar. #USSlangs
Here are some of the slangs you might not familiar with: #USSlangs
- Borgata/brugad: the crime ‘family’. #USSlangs
- Consigliere: the counselor of the ‘family’. Handles disputes within the ranks. #USSlangs
- Omertà: the code of silence to never sell out a member of the ‘family’. #USSlangs
- Shylock: a loanshark. #USSlangs
- Babbo: a derogatory term for ‘a fool’. #USSlangs
- Swag: stolen goods. #USSlangs
- Fence: someone with worldwide outlets to liquidate swag. #USSlangs
- Vig: short for vigorish, interest payment from a loanshark/shylock. #USSlangs
Do you have more slang to add, fellas? Hit that reply or retweet button! #USSlangs
It’s a wrap, fellas! Thank you for your participations! Don’t forget to visit our website englishtips4u.com! See yaa!