Fellas, do you know that every color has different meaning? In this article, I’d like to share some trivia about colors and their meaning.
It is used for stop signs, danger signals, and brake lights because it has excellent visibility in darkness. Red has a stimulating effect that may cause restlessness and insomnia if used in bedrooms.
- ‘paint the town red,’ ‘red-neck,’ ‘not worth a red cent,’ ‘caught red-handed,’ ‘red-carpet treatment.’
It has good visibility qualities, thus it’s used as “caution sign”, such as in traffic light and traffic-lane dividers. In 10th-century France, the doors of felons, traitors, and criminals were painted yellow. It is also a suitable color for a studying room because it has a stimulating effect on the mind.
- ‘Yellow fever,’ ‘yellow journalism,’ ‘yellow streak down your back,’ ‘yellow (cowardly).’
It is a mixture of all colors. It symbolizes purity, joy, and innocence. Therefore angels were always dressed in white. It reflects heat thus it is often worn in hot climates.
- ‘White Christmas,’ ‘white elephant,’ ‘dead white,’ ‘whitewash,’ ‘white collar,’ ‘white lies,’ ‘white lightning.’
It is most associated with air mail and the navy. Blue is suitable for rooms which used for relaxation and rest, also it creates a feeling of space in a small room.
- ‘Feeling blue,’ ‘singing the blues,’ ‘once in a blue moon,’ ‘blue blood,’ ‘blueprint,’ ‘Bluebird of Happiness.’
It’s associated with death and mourning in almost every countries. Combination of black and yellow is used frequently on street signs as well as for advertising.
- ‘Black death,’ ‘Black Friday,’ ‘blackout,’ ‘black magic,’ ‘black as sin,’ ‘blacklist,’ ‘blackjack,’ ‘black market.’
What do you think of the trivia, fellas? Aren’t they interesting?
- #EngVocab: Other meanings of ‘fashion’ that you should know
- #EngTrivia: Same word different meanings in UK and US
- #EngVocab: Synonyms of ‘problem’
- #EngVocab: Obsolete words – a trip to the past
- #IOTW: Idioms about hard work