Hi guys, how are you doing this Thursday? Are you feeling good?
Great! Anybody of you has once been invited for a formal dining? What occasion was that? In formal dining, it is important for you to employ manners. Lacking of this knowledge might result insults to the host and other guests.
Tonight, we’\ will have a discussion on table manners. I have collected some tips for you from various trusted resources. Hope they help.
- Tip 1: Upon sitting down, take the napkin, unfold it, and place it on your lap.
- Tip 2: If you find some utensils around the plate, always take the utensils from the outside.
- Tip 3: Don’t leave the table without a word and an “Excuse me,…” Simply say, “Excuse me, I’ll be right back.”
- Tip 4: Don’t use your mobile phone for any reasons. You need to turn off or put your phone into silent mode. In case it rings, turn it off immediately.
- Tip 5: When you need to talk, you need to swallow your food and place your fork on the plate first.
- Tip 6: When reaching a food, don’t lean past the person sitting next to you.
- Tip 7: Eat quietly. Loud chewing, smacking, and slurping food are major mistakes and considered very impolite.
- Tip 8: Don’t put your elbows on the table while eating. “No elbows on the table.”
- Tip 9: Keep your hands away from your hair. When hands are not used, place them on your lap. Don’t rest them on the table.
- Tip 10: Don’t hunch your shoulders over your plate. Likewise, slouching back in the chair is also considered impolite.
- Tip 11: Don’t put any of your belongings on the table, including your purse. Place it on your lap.
- Tip 12: When something goes wrong, stay calm and don’t generate attention.
- Tip 13: When you see a speck of food on a guest’s face. Warn him subtly using your index finger.
- Tip 14: Don’t leave your spoon on the bowl when you are finished with the food. Place the spoon on the plate or on the saucer.
- Tip 15: Yawns, burps, sneezes, coughs, etc. should be covered with your napkin. When it gets frequent, excuse yourself to leave the table.
Those are the tips on table manners that we have successfully gathered for you. Hope they help you prepare for your upcoming formal dining. Our website http://englishtips4u.com has abundant English tips for you.
You might want to check it out in your spare time. Thank you so much for your attention today. I’ll see you tomorrow.
- #EngTips: Ending conversations (revisit)
- #EngTips: How to RSVP
- #EngTips: Voicing Out Opinion
- #EngTips: Making Suggestions
- #EngTips: Making apologies