In this occassion, I’d like to share about an expression used to state the obvious.
Let’s say you are talking to a fellow Game of Thrones fans.
- You: “Ramsay Bolton is so evil. No wonder everyone hates him.”
- Friend: “Yeah, that’s a given. He’s a psychopath.”
Yep, the expression is, “It’s/that’s a given.”
‘It’s/that’s a given‘ is often used to describe something that’s obviously true and not expected to change soon. The expression is synonymous with;
- ‘everyone knows,’
- ‘it goes without saying’ and
- ‘there’s no denying.’
- #EngVocab: Phrasal verbs with ‘give’
- #EngTrivia: Telling time (2)
- #EngClass: Descriptive text and report text
- #IOTW: Mum’s the word
- #EngClass: Subject complement