The topic we’ll talk about in this article is one of the most basic skills everyone needs to master. It is good memorization. So embrace yourselves!
- Be interested in what you’re learning.
- Our mind would easily record something that interested us, such as song lyrics or the name of your crush. So, first thing first, you have to find a way to become interested in anything you’re learning.
- Chunk the information and correlate it with what you already know.
- Our mind would retain smaller bits better than large information. Therefore, it is better to study bits by bits every day than cramming all you need to memorize all at once.
- Create a mental memory tree.
- Make a big branch of the main information, then leaves and twigs contain labels and details that are personally meaningful to you in some way. This will help you to remember and recall the memory easier.
- Write and say out the items to be memorized over and over and over.
- Consciously writing then saying it out loud are, in effect, teaching yourself what you are trying to learn. By repeating information, you train your brain to remember that information automatically.
- When reading paragraphs, summarize each in the margin.
- Therefore, you have to think about what you have read, recycle it, and teach it to yourself again. Then you can just re-read your summary instead of reading the whole paragraph next time.
- Take breaks.
- Take breaks between study sessions. Allow yourself to breathe and relax without thinking about what you have learned. Recall the information after breaks, then you can figure out what you know well and what you might need to work on some more.
- #EngTips: How to RSVP
- #EngTips: How to be productive
- #EngTips: Effective Internet searching
- #EngTips: Tips on writing essay
- #EngTips: How to be a great public speaker