Did you watch MTV’s 2015 Video Music Awards? If you did, you must have known the singer that won the most awards! Yup, it was Taylor Swift! She won 4 awards: Best Collaboration, Best Pop Video, Best Female Video, and the most prestigious award, Video of The Year!
Taylor Swift used plenty of idioms in her songs. Does anyone know any of them?
1. Bad Blood. Meaning: anger or hostility between persons or groups.
First, taken from her hit, “Bad Blood”.
“Cause, baby, now we got bad blood. You know it used to be mad love.”
- There’s been bad blood between Taylor Swift and Katy Perry for years.
2. Call it off. Meaning: to cancel or postpone an event.
The next one is taken from her famous song, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”.
“Ooh, we called it off again last night. But ooh, this time I’m telling you, I’m telling you.”
- The organizer called the concert off last night because it was raining heavily.
3. Out of style. Meaning: unfashionable.
Taken from her song, “Style”.
“Cause we never go out of style. We never go out of style”.
- Why are you still wearing boot-cut jeans? They’re out of style!
4. Go down in flames. Meaning: to fail or end suddenly and completely.
From “Blank Space”.
“So, it’s gonna be forever, or it’s gonna go down in flames.”
- Her marriage goes down in flames after the big fight between her and her husband.
5. Run the red. Meaning: to pass through an intersection while the traffic light is red without stopping.
Last one, from “All Too Well”.
“You almost ran the red ‘cause you were looking over me”.
- Do you know that it’s wrong and dangerous to run the red? I know, but I’m really late.
- #IOTW: Idioms from Justin Bieber’s songs
- #IOTW: Music idioms
- #EngKnowledge: Adele and her songs
- #EngGame: Songs of Indonesian in English translation
- #EngQuiz: Guess the tenses in song lyrics!