Tonight we’ll discuss code-switching and code-mixing. Have you ever heard those terms, fellas?
Code-switching is a situation when you change your language to another language during your speech. Example of code-switching: diluar hujan and I don’t bring my umbrella. Code-switching occurs in level of clauses and sentences.
Code-mixing is a mixing of language that occurs within one sentence. In code-mixing,you don’t mix the whole clause or sentence, but only one or two words.For example: filmnya boring,aku jadi ngantuk.
There are some reasons why people use code-switching and code-mixing. Here they are:
- Talking about particular point. For example, when you and your friend are talking about someone and in order not to let people know, you’re mixing Eng and French.
- When people are being emphatic about something. For example: katanya ibumu sakit ya? I’m sorry to hear that. Semoga cepat sembuh ya.
- To soften or strengthen request or command. For example: “Please jangan berisik!” Atau “Aku titip susu sekotak ya, please..”
- To emphasize what has been said. For example: “Ingat, besok jangan telat. Don’t be late!”
- To make people look smart.
That’s a wrap fellas, hope these will be useful for you.