Since today is Monday, let’s learn some terms related to business English. The topic: types of job and types of work. :)
- 1. A full-time job is for the whole normal working week.
- 2. A part-time job is for less time than that.
You say that someone works full-time or part-time. “Andrea works part-time as a barista in the cafe on the corner.”
- 3. A permanent job does not finish after a fixed period.
- 4. A temporary job finishes after a fixed period.
You talk about temporary work and permanent work. “I’m doing temporary work as an art worker to gain experience.”
So, what kind of job or work are you currently having or doing, fellas? :)
To check your understanding on the types of job or work, let’s do this small quiz, fellas. I will start with an example.
I’m Alicia. I work in a public library in the afternoons from two until six. (I/ job)
Answer: I have a part-time job.
- My husband works in an office from 9 am to 5.30 pm. (he/ job)
- Our daughter works in a bank from eight till five every day. (she/ work)
- I’m David and I work in a cafe from 8 pm until midnight. (I/ work)
- My wife works in local government and she can have this job for as long as she wants it. (she/ job)
- Our son is working on a farm for four weeks. (he/ job)
- Our daughter is working in an office for three weeks. (she/ work)
- He has a full-time job.
- She works full-time.
- I work part-time.
- She has a permanent job.
- He has a temporary job.
- She has temporary work.
Source: Business Vocabulary in Use – Intermediate by Bill Masculll