Following up on a previous post about Singlish or Singaporean English, this time we will talk about some Singlish words and expressions.
Anyone up for it?
As a reminder, here’s what Singlish is to a fella:
“it’s english mix with some chinese and malay words :)) and the grammar doesnt have to be correct” – @laurenhxh
Believe it or not, my interviewees were struggling on how to actually write these Singlish #EngVocab
Of course, different people might write it differently. So if you happen to know how to write them, share your version :)
So, here they are!
- Wah Lau Eh/Weh = Oh my God – expression when you are surprised. In Indonesian it would be like = Ya ampun
- Boh Liao = Nothing better to do
- Cheem = difficult, complicated, complex – usually used by students when they find their studies hard to understand
- Ah or Leh or Meh or Lah = expressive words in Singlish
- Relak one corner = go seat on one corner do your own thing, nothing better to do, anti-social. For example, telling someone to just go relax and maybe play guitar on the corner
- Wan = referring to an object/person, used at the end of a sentence. For example, “Zhen Min is very smart wan, lah!” (notice: an expressive word from no.4 is used in the end as well)
- Makan = eat, same meaning in Indonesian, but in Singapore and Singlish it is used by any race there to say “eat”
- Jalan-jalan = walking around, traveling, same meaning in Bahasa Indonesia
- Got or Got meh = “Is it true?” or “Is it?” In Indonesian would be “Iya gitu?” or “Ada gitu?”
- Auntie or Uncle = In Singapore like in Indonesia we would call someone older by Auntie (Tante) or Uncle (Om). In Singapore and Singlish, Auntie/Uncle usually used to refer to shop owners or food stall owners. Such as, “Auntie, what’s the price for….?” or “Uncle, what do you have in store?” and so on
Bo jio = ajak ajak dong. Why you didn’t invite me? @jiank38
Of course, this session wouldn’t be possible without @della_angelina, Zhen Min and Mithun’s common Singlish vocabs contribution :)
That’s it for today’s Singlish #EngVocab :) More to come this Saturday if you want to know more :D so stay tuned!
Interview with Della (@della_angelina), Zhen Min and Mithun in London, 14th July 2014