Hello, fellas! How are you? And how was your Eid ul-Adha celebration (if you were celebrating)? Or how was your holiday in general today? :)
Speaking of Eid ul-Adha, I think it’s the best time to talk about types of meat and how we say them in English. Interested?
So here they are, fellas, types of meat and how we say them in English, with pictures.
1. Beef: the meat from a cow.
2. Chicken: the meat of a chicken.
3. Pork: the meat from a pig.
4. Crabmeat: the meat from a crab.
5. Duck: the meat of a duck.
6. Lamb: the meat from a young sheep.
7. Turkey: the meat of a turkey.
8. Mutton: the meat from an adult sheep.
9. Goose: the meat of a goose.
10. Goat meat: the meat of a goat.
11. Poultry: meat from birds such as chickens.
12. Bacon: meat from a pig that is treated with smoke/salt, and is often cooked in rashers (= thin pieces).
13. Rabbit: the meat from a rabbit.
14. Veal: meat from a young cow.
15. Venison: the meat from a deer.
16. Mince/ground beef: meat, especially beef, that has been cut into very small pieces using a machine.
17. Meatball: meat that is cut into very small pieces, shaped into a ball, and cooked.
18. Stewing steak: beef (= meat from a cow) that is suitable for cooking in a stew. e.g. rawon meat.
19. Ham: the meat from the top part of the back legs of a pig, preserved using salt or smoke.
Questions and Answers
- Q. @morends: are chopped meat, mince, and ground beef the same? | A. According to this http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chop%20meat …, chopped meat, mince, and ground beef are the same. :)
- Q. @JTob135: come on That’s minced beef shaped like ball.. | A. That’s the western version of meatball. Now, this is the Indonesian version of meatball. :)
- Q. @mosi_chan: Indeed! So Bakso is not meatball kecuali kl ga ad kuah | A. Yes, bakso = meatball soup. :)
- Q. @kiev_artc: Mince or minced? | A. Mince = noun; minced = adjective. Minced meat = this is correct. :)
- Q. @ardinirmala: Lhoh mince itu bukan verb yak? | A. one word can have more than one meaning. Feel free to check your dictionary. :)
- Q. @JTob135: I thought Mutton is for Goat and Lamb is for sheep.. if you shop in U.S supermarket Mutton is for Goat meat | A. mutton and goat meat are used interchangeably. Different parts of the world call meat from goat/sheep with different names. :)
All pictures are taken from Google Images. Drag and drop an image to search for its source.