Hi, fellas! Some people learn a foreign language, English in this case, because they just want to speak it fluently. However, some people learn it to speak it fluently and with a non-foreign accent almost like a native speaker.
Sometimes we feel tired when people asking us to repeat because they don’t understand us. And sometimes people laugh because of our funny accent, right?
Also, how many of you think that British accent sounds sexy? I do. Hehe…
So, today I’m going to give you some tips on how to get rid of a foreign accent!
- Learn to pronounce the sounds the way they are originally pronounced in the native language. This is the most important step. Realize that the same letter can be pronounced differently in many languages. Practise very hard to memorize the new and native pronunciation.
- Listen to the language spoken with its native accent and try to imitate the pronunciation. At this step, you don’t have to focus on the meaning of the words. Repeat the pronunciation again and again.
- This way, your brain will start to replace your old foreign accent with the new one.
- If you’re a language freak, why don’t you learn the linguistics behind your target language. It helps you break up the accent you want to learn and know how it is made.
- Practise with a native speaker. Have a discussion with them and let them correct your accent.
- Stay consistent. If you want to learn British accent, then pronounce all words with the accent. On the other side, if you want to learn American accent, don’t pronounce a few words using British accent.
That’s my tips for you, fellas. Do you have your own tips? Share it to other fellas!