Evening, fellas. Who likes eating? (and then I hear everybody screams, “I do! I do!”) If you like eating then you must love today’s session!
Some time ago, we once had a session where all of you helped me describe Indonesian dishes in English. Just like here describing Indonesian dishes in English.
The reason why we describe Indonesian dishes instead of translating is because.. They’re sometimes simply untranslatable! Don’t you think?
For example, ever heard of ‘tahu gejrot’? How would you translate that to English? Don’t! Describe it. Can you help me, fellas? :)
“@Firziebcr: tahu gejrot is a dish made from tofu that’s pounded with vinegar sauce, onion and chili”
- @nainanina: fried tofu cutlets w/ sauce made out of brown sugar water mixed w/ salt and grinded shallots plus chilli peppers
- @farhanabdrm: taju gejrot is a food that consisted of tofu which was cut into small pieces and eaten with marinade,vinegar and chili
- @dwintafitrianty: Tahu gejrot is dish made of tofu filled with vinegar sauce then when we bite it the filling sprays out and produces sound like ‘crot/jrot’. That is why we name it Tahu gejrot. It is said as onamatop
Again, DO NOT translate, but describe.. So help me describe these Indonesian dishes, will you, fellas? More examples describing Indonesian dishes in English.
made of vs made from
Before we proceed, perbedaan ‘made of’ and ‘made from’:
- made of = bahan tidak berubah bentuk
- made from = bahan berubah (tercampur)
- “The chair is made of wood.” (kayu tdk berubah jd bentuk lain)
- “Tofu is made from soybean.” (kedelainya berubah bentuk).
@FadhilAnthem: pempek: a traditional food from palembang that made from fish chum and flour.
@ben_andz: pempek is the traditonal food of Palembang, made from mackerel fish and combined w/ flour, served w/ vinegar sauce :)
@hijabTIPS: pempek is a kind of dumpling made from fish and tapioca. Usually eaten with the sauce called “Cuka”.
- @sigit_wicaks: a kind of Indonesian food made from fish. served with a special sauce
- @FadhilAnthem: pempek: a traditional food from palembang that made from fish chum and flour.
- @ran_ratna: pempek is a snack from palembang, made from tengiri fish *combined with egg sometimes*, it is served with unique sauce :9
- @haneultaem: empek2 is a dishe made from fish and tapioca and served with rich sweet&sour sauce.
- @tiaaradhiah: Empek-empek is a savoury fishcake made of fish and tapioca, served with vinegar sauce
- @fiamaulana: Pempek is a delicacy from Palembang, South Sumatra, Indonesia. It’s made of fishcake and tapioca.
- @ben_andz: pempek is the traditonal food of Palembang, made from mackerel fish and combined w/ flour, served w/ vinegar sauce :)
- @ErdnaNugroho: a kind of indonesian tradisional food from south sumatra that made from fish meat and flour. served with special sauce. enak
- @IZelikaa: pempek is a food that made of mackerel fish it has Liquid Sauce called cuka and it comes from palembang
- @Yudhimahartha: Indonesian fish cake, served with special sauce. it has many shape.. one of them known as “Submarine empek-empek” hahaha
- @indahyasnan: pempek is a dish that made from fish and flour (tapioca). and served with ‘cuko’ sauce.
- @tikarawuri: pempek is fishcake from palembang, made from fish&tapioca served with yellow noodles and a dark sour sauce called kuah cuka.
- @elidasogood: is Indonesian culinary ,from Palembang exactly. Made by hacked fish , tapioca& salt.Very savory.
- @Jtob135: Fish cake usually fried with egg or with egg inside served in spicy and sour sauce
@Jtob135: A fried tofu with rice cake, vermicelli and steamed beansprout over peanut sauce
- @MunMuntze: Salad with steamed rice
- @adhels: salad consisting of beans,sprout,tofu *ketoprak* :))
- @hijabTIPS: Ketoprak is vegetable salad with peanut sauce! :D
- @warjati: ketoprak is one of our traditional meals that its ingredients consisted vegetables, peanuts, and sprout.
- @indahmfajri: traditional food from Jakarta, combine of ketupat, tofu, peanut pasta, tauge, soun noodles topping with kerupuk :D
- @andyanzakiy: vegetables salad with peanut sauce
- @inezney: originally from indonesia where the main component is tofu, sliced cucumber, sprout, mihun, and peanut sauce’s spread
- @venesonya: an indonesian food made of fried tofu,packed steamed rice,white noodle,sprout,fried egg & poured by indonesian peanut sauce
@Yudhimahartha: Gado-gado is indonesian traditional food that made from various boiled vegetables and egg then served with peanut sauce..
@sofyanlich: Vegetables with peanut sauce and you can eat with rice
@dhanie2403: gado gado is made of vegetables with peanut sauce and some crackers on it.
- @maslev: Salad with peanut sauce :D
- @dersjahranie: mix vegetables in peanut sauce
- @Jtob135: Mixed of steamed vegetables w/ fried tofu & fried soybean cake over nut sauce serve with rice or rice cake
- @IZelikaa: Gado-Gado is a food contains with Vegetables and lontong and peanut sauce as toping xD with shrimp krupuk
- @Yudhimahartha: Gado-gado is indonesian traditional food that made from various boiled vegetables and egg then served with peanut sauce..
- @sofyanlich: Vegetables with peanut sauce and you can eat with rice
- @agatharizkaa: Boiled vegetables such as carrot, cabbage, beans, tomato, cucumber with peanut sauce.
- @afif_alhad: kind of salad made of vegetables (carrot & green beans), fried tofu soybean, boiled egg, poured with peanut sauce
- @ganiis: Indonesian-salad style with peanut sauce and rice cake
@galihkumalasari: kerupuk are usually made from flour and combined with other ingredient likes shrimp and fish
@ben_andz: kerupuk (prawn cracker in english) is a popular snack on SouthEast Asia. Can be Made from starch,shrimp, and so on.
@dhanie2403: krupuk is also called crackers in english. It’s made from flour. There’s so many kind of krupuk. 1 of my fav is fish crackers
@alyamaudina: Rujak is made of fruit mixed with sauce which made of brown sugar, chilli pepper, tamarind, and water.
@VDSFR: rujak is slices of fresh fruits served with sauce made from melted brown sugar mixed with peanuts
@novirindi: tropical fruit salad served with sweet and spicy sauce
- @Jtob135: mixed fresh fruit cut to pieces serve in sweet and spicy sauce with nut chunk
- @novirindi: tropical fruit salad served with sweet and spicy sauce
- @dersjahranie: rujak: mix fruit platter served with spicy peanut sauce
- @natasharcazm: Slices of many kinds of fruits with spicy sauce topping.
- @riatommo: the fruit salad with hot peanut sauce
- @DimasAyoga: mix fruit with spicy peanut sauce..
- @anseltan2124 Jun: tropical fruit salad which cut in pieces with nut chunk..
- @tyandit: rujak is kind of culinary from indonesia that consists of many kinds of fruit. we always eat it with sambal which is very hot
- @anisapribadi: mixed fruit with spicy sauce :p
- @littlehotshot: fruits chopped and served with a sauce made from brown sugar and peanuts
- @dhanie2403: Rujak is made of some slices of fruits with brown sugar sauce.
- @elidasogood: rujak is made of traditional sauce and mixing fruits such as pinapple, young mango, cucumber, etc
- @VDSFR: rujak is slices of fresh fruits served with sauce made from melted brown sugar mixed with peanuts
@Jtob135: A sweet & chewy snack made traditionally usually with differen fruity taste
dersjahranie: dodol is sweet sticky glutinous rice with palm sugar
@alyamaudina: dodol’s basic ingredient is rice flour. The color of the original one is brown, but nowadays you can find with some colors.
- @Kinantidev: sweet sticky candy
- @EG_Pree: Candy from Garut.
- @kriszrules: palm syrup and coconut milk confection
- @riatommo: taffy made of sticky rice, coconut milk, and palm sugar often with durian.
- @natasharcazm: Chewy little snack that made of cornflour, coconut milk, brown sugar, and rice flour.
- @dersjahranie: dodol is sweet sticky glutinous rice with palm sugar
- @ramdhanmazid: that’s it! Indonesian chewy nougat from Garut.
- @maslev: Extracted fruit mixed with some original recipe from Garut, packed like a candy
- @elidasogood: dodol made from coconut milk, palma sugar, and rice flour, stiring around 8 hours.
- @reszzpati: sort of glutinous, sticky snack made from rice fluor, palm sugar and coconut milk.