Hi, fellas! We’ve received many questions regarding how to enlarge vocabulary and reading skill. And maybe some of us have a question also, is it necessary to learn through dictionaries and read many English books?
Today, I will share some tips I’m using to learn English. It works for me, and maybe for some of you.
- First, don’t try to enlarge vocabulary through dictionaries, but read as many books as possible instead.
- The more you read, the more you will extend your vocabulary and develop your reading skill.
- Choose books or articles that are interesting to you and encouraging you to read on and on.
- Make sure the books are at your level, or only a little bit above your level. So it’s not too difficult, but not too easy.
- Mark new words you’ve encountered in context. Then you’ll see how the words are used.
- After that, you can imagine yourself use those words in other sentences or situations.
- When you come across new words, don’t immediately search those words on your dictionary. Guess it.
- This is a very good chance that you will be able to guess their meaning.
- After that, you can validate the meaning on your dictionary. Use dictionary as a back-up to see if your guess was right.
That’s it for this session. We’ll continue giving tips on another session, fellas!