1. Never say die. Meaning: never give up.
2. False friends are worse than open enemies. Meaning: it’s better to know who your real enemies are than trust someone than someone who pretends to be a friend.
3. Half a loaf is better than none. Meaning: you should be grateful for something even if it’s not as much as you wanted.
4. However long the night, the dawn will break. Meaning: bad things don’t last forever.
5. The devil looks after his own. Meaning: success comes to those who deserve it least.
6. The die is cast. Meaning: a decision that has been made and it’s impossible to change it.
7. There’s no fool like an old fool. Meaning: an older person is expected to behave more sensibly.
8. Walls have ears. Meaning: be careful, people could be listening.
9. Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow. Meaning: worrying over small details can make them seem worse.
10. Misery loves company. Meaning: when people are sad they often like others to feel sad too.