- Barking dogs seldom bite. Meaning: people who talk a lot or threaten may not be actually harmful.
- If you call one wolf, you invite the pack. Meaning: when you invite one sin into your life, no matter how small, it opens the door for far worse or one bad will lead to many.
- Don’t bargain for fish which are still in the water. Meaning: never count anything until you take possession of it.
- Calm water doesn’t mean that there are no crocodiles. Meaning: don’t be fooled by appearances; danger can be lurking just beneath the surface.
- The best fish swims near the bottom. Meaning: the finest things are hard to get.
- A night without roosters will still end. Meaning: hope does not necessarily have to be based on tangible signs.
- A dog cannot bite you when it has warned you. Meaning: one is not likely to fall into the trap of his enemy when the latter has warned him/her.
- A baboon laughs at the buttocks of another baboon. Meaning: everyone has his/her weakness.
- The hen pecks and wipes its beak. Meaning: many people are not ready to admit their mistakes. They deny having done anything wrong and clear away every proof.
- It has been always difficult for a hyena to go through two ways (at the same time). Meaning: opposite things cannot be done at the same time.
- The rat does not help the other rat to peel a piece of maize. Meaning: it is not always easy for people with the same problem to help each other.
- Those who go to examine rainwater puddle will meet scorpions (around it). Meaning: you’ll get into trouble if you’re too inquisitive.
- You leave your cow and you run after a snake for meat. Meaning: trying to get something better than what you already have, you may result in losing the very thing you had before.
- If a mouse enters into the hole of a mole, forget about it. Meaning: you don’t expect to win a case in someone else’s village.
- The beak of the bird is what tells us the things it eats. Meaning: your words reveal the kind of person you are.
Compiled and written by @fabfebby at @EnglishTips4U on July 21, 2012
Indonesia's first and only Twitter-based English learning portal