Hi fellas. Here are some phrasal verbs with the word “Give”.
As we’ve previously discussed, a phrasal verb is Verb + Preposition which gives a new meaning. So, here goes:
- Give away – memberikan sesuatu sebagai hadiah (cuma-cuma). Contoh: The shop is giving away a sample pack to every customer.
- Give away – menguak rahasia yang hanya diketahui beberapa orang, membocorkan rahasia. Contoh: The party was meant to be a surprise, but she gave it away.
- Give back – mengembalikan. Contoh: You’ve borrowed my car for a whole month now. When are you going to give it back?
- Give in – menyerahkan, mengumpulkan. Contoh: She’s the first to give in her report.
- Give in – menyerah, mengalah. Contoh: His mother finally gave in and let him stay up to watch TV.
- Give in – jatuh/rubuh. Contoh: The roof gave in under the weight of the snow.
- Give of – berkontribusi, mengerahkan (tenaga/waktu/usaha). Contoh: They give of themselves to improve awareness to global warming.
- Give off – mengeluarkan asap/cairan. Contoh: The police stopped the truck because it was giving off a lot of black smoke.
- Give off – bersikap dan membentuk suatu citra diri. Contoh: She gives off an air of nobility.
- Give out – mengumumkan, menyatakan kepada publik. Contoh: I hate to be the one giving out the bad news, but someone ought to do it.
- Give out – menyebarkan, membagikan. Contoh: I saw her giving out leaflets in front of the train station yesterday.
- Give out – rusak karena terlalu lama digunakan. Contoh: I’d been having trouble with my laptop and it finally gave out at the weekend.
- Give out – mengeluarkan asap/suara. Contoh: The factory gives out a lot of fumes give out. The washer gave out a steady buzzing.
- Give out – habis. Contoh: Her patience finally gave out after being abused for so long.
- Give over – berhenti, menghentikan keributan atau sesuatu yang menyebalkan. Contoh: They were making a lot of noise so I told them to give over.
- Give over – menyerahkan, mempercayakan sesuatu. Contoh: I’ve given all my projects over to the new manager before I moved out.
- Give up – menyerah. Contoh: The suspects gave themselves up to the police. Don’t give up! You’ll fine a way to solve it.
- Give up – menghentikan kebiasaan. Contoh: I gave up smoking a long time ago. I gave up taking sugar in tea and coffee to lose weight.
- Give up – berhenti, menghentikan kegiatan. Contoh: I have given up trying to help them. I don’t think all those work will pay off.
- Give up – mengorbankan sesuatu, mengerahkan usaha/waktu/tenaga. Contoh: I gave up all my free time to the project.
- Give up – merelakan, memberikan pada orang lain. Contoh: I gave up my seat to a pregnant woman.