Hi fellas! Do you know there are other ways to express thank you than just a simple ‘thank you’? There are two types of expression in order to say thank you, they are casual and formal expression.
In casual conversation, such as talking with your friends or family, you can use a simple expression, such as:
- “Thanks a lot.” Arti: terima kasih banyak.
- “Thanks a bunch.” Arti: terima kasih banyak.
In addition, as a reply, you use one of these following phrases:
- “Don’t mention it.” Arti: tidak usah diperhitungkan.
- “It was nothing.” Arti: tidak apa-apa, tadi itu sangat mudah.
- “That’s okay.” Arti: tidak apa-apa.
- “That’s nothing.” Arti: tidak apa-apa, tadi itu sangat mudah.
- “No problem.” Arti: tidak masalah, bukan masalah.
- “Any time.” Arti: kapanpun kau perlu bantuan.
Formal ‘thank you’ expressions are used in a formal conversation. As an illustation, when you are writing a letter or an email for an institution. Another example is when you are giving your speech in public. If you are in a related condition, you can use the phrases below when you are going to thank someone.
- “Thank you.” Arti: terima kasih.
- “Thank you very much.” Arti: terima kasih banyak.
- “It was very kind of you.” Arti: terima kasih, anda sungguh baik hati.
- “I appreciate your help.” Arti: terima kasih, saya menghargai pertolongan Anda.
- “You’ve been very helpful.” Arti: terima kasih, Anda sudah sangat membantu.
- “I truly/sincerely appreciate your…” Arti: dengan sepenuh hati, saya ucapkan terima kasih atas…
Moreover, in special occasion where written expression is needed, you can use one of the following phrases:
- “How can I ever possibly thank you.” Arti: bagaimana aku bisa berterima kasih padamu.
- “I wouldn’t have been able to… Thank you.” Arti: saya tak akan mampu… Terima kasih.
- “How can I show you how grateful I am for what you did?” Arti: bagaimana aku bisa menunjukkan terima kasihku untuk segala yang kau perbuat?
There is an expression which is well know in our daily conversation, it is ‘thank you before,’ but apparently this is wrong.
To say ‘thank you’ before someone has done something for you, you can use one of these expressions:
- “Thank you in advance.”
- “Thank you beforehand.”
And if someone has already helped you but, he or she could not made it, you can say “Thank you anyway” to give them you appreciation.
However, in order to respond a gratitude from someone, we can reply them by using:
- “(It’s) My pleasure.” Arti: senang bisa membantu.
- “You’re welcome.” Arti: sama-sama atau terima kasih kembali.
- #EngTips: How to write a thank you letter
- #BusEng: Cover and thank you letter
- #BusEng: “Complementary close” – How to write a formal email (2)
- #EngTips: Formal phrases
- #EngQuiz: Formal letter vocabularies