DYK? English has been the official language in 53 countries in the world and some world organizations, such as UN, EU, NATO, etc. The major English-speaking countries in the world are: USA, UK, Canada, Australia. Followed by Nigeria, Ireland, South Africa.
Today, there are 500 million to 1.8 billion people using English. 309 to 400 million people use it as their first language, 199 million to 1.4 billion use it as their second language.
English has rich vocabulary because of the assimilation of various European languages throughout history. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, there are over 250,000 English words, not including technical or slang terms.
Compiled by @EnglishTips4U on Sunday, June 19, 2011
- #EngTrivia: English classics
- #EngTrivia: English oldest words
- #EngTrivia: Some pronunciations error that changed the English language
- #EngTrivia: 10 funny-sounding and interesting English words
- #EngTrivia: English Indonesian?