Hello, fellas! Ready to start our #EngClass session? Today, we’ll talk about 1 word. Yes! Just 1 word. It’s “Would”.
We received quite a lot of questions on the word “Would”. How do you use it? When do you use it? What does it mean? Let’s start!
“Would” is always followed by the bare infinitive verb. That means no: “s”, “ing”, “ed”. E.g.: She would like, He would come, etc.
“Would” is used when we talk about the future in the past. Huh? Maksudnya gimana tuh? Past & Future kok bisa digabung? Are you starting to get confused?
Imagine your boyfriend said this last week: “Can you lend me 5 millions Rupiah? I will pay you back on Monday.”
And this week, he doesn’t show up. You can’t get a hold of him. And he hasn’t paid back your 5 millions Rupiah.
And NOW you say:
- He said he would pay the 5 millions Rupiah back last Monday.
P.s.: Can’t get a hold of someone means you can’t contact him, you can’t get in touch with someone.
Did you notice the word that followed “Would”? Remember that “Would” is always followed by the bare infinitive verb.
“Would” is used when we talk about past habits.
- We would go to Puncak every weekend when I was little.
- 2nd Conditional » You would get good grades, if you studied hard. Read more about it here » http://bit.ly/YLWE3p
- 3rd Conditional» If you had studied hard, you would have passed your exam. Read more about it here» http://bit.ly/NWX6EI
“Would” is used to request something & ask questions politely.
- Would you marry me?
- Would you pass me the box?
- Would you give me a ride?
“Would” is used to express your desire or to offer something in a polite way. E.g:
- Would you like some coffee, tea, or me?
- We would love to cooperate with your company.
- I would love to have some bagels for dinner.
“Would” is used to express your wish. E.g.:
- I wish you would come on my birthday. I haven’t met you for ages.
- Her mom wish she would be more mature. She’s 30 and still acts like a child.
“Would” is used when we make some presumptions, when you think something would happen. E.g.:
- I think she would come tonight.
- That would be the police at the door. Hurry! Go hide under the bed.
That’s all, fellas! I hope y’all have a better idea of how to use “Would”. :D